Time-on-Task: 34 hours
Courses may be completed in as little as a few short weeks, or up to 6 months.
Your success throughout your online course experience will be represented digitally within a badge. The badge will show your employers and professional network your qualifications as well as course materials you mastered.
This course prepares you to sit for the certification exam.
This course prepares students to become certified Health Care Compliance Officers. Students develop an understanding of the key requirements needed to effectively develop, implement, and monitor a health care compliance program for their practices or help others in their compliance efforts, which are based on governmental regulatory guidelines. Students will emerge from this course fully prepared to sit for the AAPC's Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO™) certification exam. The certification exam itself is not part of this course.
- Demonstrate understanding of the OIG Compliance Guidance for Individual and Small Group Physician Practices, Clinical Laboratories, and Third Party Billing Companies
- Demonstrate knowledge of compliance program effectiveness techniques
- Demonstrate understanding of key healthcare fraud and abuse laws, including the False Claims Act, Stark Laws, and Anti-Kickback Statute, including the associated penalties
- Demonstrate understanding of how the PPACA will affect medical practices
- Demonstrate knowledge of other laws and regulations, including HIPAA, EMTALA, and CLIA
- Demonstrate understanding of how to handle investigations, including self-disclosure protocols
- Demonstrate knowledge of requirements under Corporate Integrity Agreements (CIAs) and Certificate of Compliance Agreements (CCAs)
- Demonstrate understanding of current investigative activities (RACs, ZPICs, MFCUs)
- Demonstrate understanding of various risk areas, including items such as gifts/gratuities, conflicts of interest, use of Advance Beneficiary Notices, teaching physician's guidelines, and incident to services
You want to be engaged as you learn. We get it. We also know engagement is important to true retention and learning. For that reason, each course includes:
- Online course material
- Interactive lesson presentations
- Audio-to-go podcasts
- Personalized study guides
- User-specific pacing charts
- Engaging lesson presentations
- Interactive “Check Your Understanding” exercises/quizzes
Mobile Friendly Experience: laptops, computers, tablets, etc.